From CBC Online News at http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2006/07/26/kelowna-support.html
Premiers renew Kelowna commitment
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 26, 2006
National aboriginal leaders are leaving western Newfoundland with a renewed commitment from provincial and territorial premiers to provide support for the Kelowna accord.
The Kelowna accord was a five-year, $5-billion plan intended to improve the education, housing and health of aboriginal peoples. It was reached by the first ministers last fall, but Ottawa has refused to honour it so far.The heads of five national native groups met with the premiers in Corner Brook Tuesday to renew support for the accord.
Chief Phil Fontaine of the Assembly of First Nations said that although he received the support he was looking for from premiers, he is still frustrated.
"There has been movement," said Fontaine.
"Has it been fast enough? No. We need to deal with these issues urgently."
Beverly Jacobs, president of the Native Women's Association of Canada, said some of the promised money needs to be targeted at reducing violence.
"In order to have the strength in our communities, our women need to be strong and need to address those issues of violence and healing," said Jacobs.
Jacobs will be able to pursue those concerns more fully in yet another meeting in the province — Premier Danny Williams announced Tuesday that a summit on aboriginal women's issues will be held in Newfoundland and Labrador in the fall of 2007.
Tuesday's meeting was the first of many this week for the Council of the Federation, which stopped in Corner Brook before proceeding to a three-day conference in St. John's. On Wednesday, the premiers will discuss equalization.