Northern Chiefs Council
is accepting applications for five months
starting November 2, 2009 to March 2010
for the following position of:
Indian Residential School Support Worker
Location: Balmertown, ON
Overall functional supervision of the project will be provided by the KO Health Director during the five months of program development and operation.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Working collaboratively to establish a local support network (IRS Committee) amongst survivors, including being able to:
provide frontline emotional support counselling to eligible IRS clients and families;
provide emotional support services pre, during and post- IAP and ADR hearings;
provide emotional support at Truth & Reconciliation (TRC) and community commemoration events;
facilitate and coordinate other support services for IRS clients (eg. Refer to Health Canada regional office for professional counselling services, IRS Crisis Line, community based healing & wellness programs);
prepare and/or assist in the preparation of monthly activity reports.
-travel to communities to provide emotional support, counselling, information sessions and IRS related activities;
-3 visits to each of the 5 KO communities over the 5 months- Deer Lake, Fort Severn, Keewaywin, North Spirit Lake and Poplar Hill
-support for McDowell Lake in Thunder Bay and Red Lake;
-travel to IAP/ADR hearings
1. University degree or college diploma in a mental health / social service field.
2. Minimum of two (2) years experience in mental health therapy, ideally with an emphasis in culturally appropriate approaches to healing from Residential School trauma and the intergenerational effects of Residential Schools.
3. Experience with program development, management/supervision, and evaluation in a community health related field, including program reporting and the gathering, analysis, and reporting on client statistics.
4. Proven experience in working with First Nations people, ideally in small isolated settings.
5. Ability to speak and understand the language of the local community is an asset.
6. Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
7. Experience with multi-media presentations, video-conferencing, video-learning and website design is an asset.
8. Proven leadership abilities, including team building, accountability and work-habits.
Submit resume and references to:
ATTN: Robert Thomas, KO Health Director
Box 340, 8 Mine Road
Balmertown, ON P0V 1C0
Fax (807) 735-1383
Closing Date: November 2, 2009.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.